Saturday, October 9, 2010

Watercolor - SnoCone Stand on Fm 1327, South Austin, TX

I have been eying this adorable little snow cone stand on fm1327 near my house. I was a bit afraid to paint it at first because I wasn't sure if I would be welcome there, being non-hispanic. I know this sounds crazy, right? But when I lived in Shrewsbury, PA, my husband and I walked into The Coach Light restaurant, and we were the only people under 50 there. We got some stares. The waitress was lovely, but it was awkward. Being vegetarian, there was nothing we could have on the menu. So the waitress had to uncomfortably offer us some side dishes. She did her best, but we got the overall feeling of being odd and different.. Anyway, I was afraid to paint this snow cone stand because I didn't know how the mom-and-pop business would feel about me sitting there painting their stand. I wasn't even sure how well I could communicate because my Spanish sucks, and I wasn't sure how fluent they were. Well I did love every minute of it. The service was great, the people were friendly, English was spoken, thankfully. There were kids playing in a playground area. A friendly dog came to say hello. The weather was spectacular, there was a horse in a pen in their property who I petted on the nose, and the snow cones were AWESOME! I got blue coconut, my husband got mango. Both were really good! And cheap too! Incidentally, you can also just drive through if you are in a rush, but honestly, there are a lot of trees shading outdoor seating. It makes for a nice break! Eating blue snow cones made my teeth blue! I felt like a kid again.

Well, if you are ever on 1327, give these nice folks some business!

Tiffanny

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your painting is beautiful!! I lived in the Allentown, Pa. area for several years. I've found that the people here are considerable more accommodating regardless of age or race. Glad to be in TEXAS!!

Anonymous said...

Your painting is beautiful!! I lived in the Allentown, Pa. area for several years. I've found that the people here are considerable more accommodating regardless of age or race. Glad to be in TEXAS!!